Kidney stones can occur when substances like uric acid, oxalate, and calcium become concentrated and form crystals in the kidneys. These crystals grow bigger and turn into stones. Experts say that around 80% to 85% of the kidney stones are created from calcium. The other kidney stones are formed through uric acid and occur in individuals who do not have high urine pH levels.
Kidney stones may dislodge and travel through the ureter and block the urine flow. It can lead to flank pain, and at times, you might witness blood in your urine. Opt for an effective kidney stone treatment, which can help you get rid of the stones. It will stop the pain and reduce the discomfort.
Kidney stones are primarily treated with medications. These medications help in dissolving the stones so that they can get eliminated through the urine. But no matter the type of treatment, you might feel a bit of discomfort and pain. Some advice and tricks can help you reduce the pain and uneasiness during the treatment:
1. Keep Yourself Well-Hydrated
During the treatment, you should keep yourself hydrated. The water will flush out the bacteria from the bladder and clear the urinary tract. It can terminate the chances of an infection from developing in the urinary tract. You will stay well-hydrated and see the treatment is working perfectly.
2. Reduce the Intake of Animal Protein
During the Kidney Stones Treatment, you should avoid food items like seafood, eggs, and meat. It may cause new kidney stones to form. When you’re prone to kidney stones or receiving treatment for it, you should restrict your meat intake. The amount of meat you consume should be much less than your normal intake.
3. Drink Parsley Juice
Drinking parsley juice might not sound appealing to you, but it’s an ideal drink to prevent the formation of new kidney stones. Drinking parsley juice will increase urination and will flush out the bacteria. This juice is a nutrient-based diuretic that can increase the frequency of urination in a person. Consult your doctor before you start drinking this juice regularly.
4. Don’t Consume Oxalate-Rich Food
- When you’re undergoing treatment for kidney stones, you should limit or avoid food products that contain oxalate. It is an antinutrient present in food items like cocoa, vegetables, fruits, and leafy greens.
- Additionally, the human body also produces this antinutrient at high levels. Consuming oxalate-rich food products can increase oxalate excretion in urine.
- It can affect individuals who tend to produce calcium oxalate crystals. Oxalate can easily bind calcium with other minerals.
- Although oxalate-based food items are healthy, an oxalate diet is not advised for those who have kidney stones.
- Opt for an oxalate-rich diet if you have “hyperoxaluria.” It is an ailment that occurs when there is a high level of oxalate in a person’s urine.
- Speak with a dietitian or a doctor about this diet. Ascertain if you will benefit from avoiding food items that contain oxalate.
5. Increase the Magnesium Consumption
An important mineral, magnesium should be consumed in adequate amounts. Magnesium can take care of numerous metabolic reactions inside the body like muscle movements. Additionally, magnesium also aids in producing energy in the body. Magnesium can also prevent the formation of calcium oxalate kidney stones effectively.
Besides that, this mineral can also lessen the absorption of oxalate in the gut. You should consume around 400 mg of magnesium daily. Some food items that possess a high level of magnesium are tofu, legumes, and avocados. For more benefits, consume magnesium with other food items that contain a high level of oxalate. Speak to a doctor to learn more about magnesium-based food items.
Kidney stones can cause uneasiness and pain in both women and men. It can block the urine flow, leading to other complications. You can get relief from kidney stones by opting for an effective treatment. It can take time for the stones to be removed completely. Avoid meat products, oxalate-rich food, etc., during the treatment to prevent the formation of new kidney stones. For effective treatment of kidney stones, ensure you seek medical advice at the top hospitals.